Sunday, August 24, 2008

Garden endings....

Well, what a fun little garden I have had this year. Lots of strawberries...tons on zucchini, 4 watermelons, 3 cantaloupe's, 4 pumpkins(not so big)....lots of cucumbers, peppers, and tomatoes. And tons and tons zucchini, I know I said that...but we had tons. I also planted an eggplant because it was so pretty. I have no idea what to do with it.
These little cantaloupe's were hidden for a while and then all of a sudden we could see them. They were very good and were gone in a day or two.

Watermelon! They are so cute! I should have taken a picture when they were as big as my hand. They are fun to watch grow! A few did not make it...I will be better next year! Maybe start earlier.
Ok..the avocado is not from my garden...and the onion is from Kristen's...but everything else is from the Doberneck garden. The bell pepper plant the made it...some were not so happy!
I know it looks like a big green mess. That would be that zucchini plants out of control!
Next year we will have a better idea of what we like...maybe we will move more rock and have another planter!

3 comments:

Annie Sunshine said...

I love your variety...that is my goal next year. We just have squash and tomatoes, but tons of both...feel free to stop by and get some tomatoes.

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

Good job on such a beautiful garden. Everything looks amazing. Here's a great recipe for eggplant.

Title: SAUTEED EGGPLANT W/TOMATO AND ONION TOPPING

Description:
http://homecooking.about.com/od/alcohol/a/alcoholsub.htm
This is a website with a good article on cooking with alcohol and substitiutes to use in recipes. I used cooking wine so I don't know what I would try if you want to substitute. I did use white wine instead of red because that was all I had. I also grilled chicken breasts and put the eggplant and tomato sauce on top. So good. I was complimenting myself I was so impressed.

Ingredients:
Amount Measure Ingredient
--------------------------------
1 Eggplant, trimmed
1 Onion, chopped
3 tb Olive oil
2 cl Garlic, minced
2 ea Tomatoes, chopped
1 t Oregano, crushed
1/2 c Dry red wine
4 tb Grated Parmesan cheese
2 tb Parsley

Directions:
Cut eggplant into 1/2 inch slides, sprinkle with a little salt on both sides (to draw out water), and let slices drain in colander for 30 minutes. While eggplant is draining, cook the onion in 1 tb olive oil over moderate heat, stirring until golden; stir in garlic, tomatoes, oregano and wine and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until liquid is almost evaporated. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, parsley and salt and pepper to taste; transfer the topping to a bowl, cover and keep warm. Brush salt from surfaces of eggplant, rinse quickly and pat dry. In the skillet, heat the remaining olive oil until hot, but not smoking and cook the eggplant, browning on one side, then turn, reduce heat, and cook an additional 5 minutes or more until tender. Transfer to plate, spoon the tomato and onion topping onto it, and serve with additional cheese.

jenny said...

Great! Josh will love that recipe! Thanks...